Cleaning Disinfection and Sterilization of Diagnosys EquipmentPosted on Thursday August 27, 2020
Always disconnect the power from the Espion E3 System console and any powered equipment before cleaning/disinfection/sterilizing.
Wear disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting surfaces. Gloves should be discarded after each cleaning. Clean hands immediately after gloves are removed.
If surfaces are dirty, they should be cleaned using a detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.
- Cleaning is the removal of visible soil (e.g., organic and inorganic material) from objects and surfaces and normally is accomplished manually or mechanically using water with detergents or enzymatic products. Thorough cleaning is essential before high-level disinfection and sterilization because inorganic and organic materials that remain on the surfaces of instruments interfere with the effectiveness of these processes.
The exterior of the Espion E3 System console, all exterior surfaces and cables of the Espion Profile cart systems, and the exteriors of the amplifier and stimulators may be cleaned using a damp soft cloth.
The ColorDome and ColorBurst interiors may be cleaned using a slightly damp cloth. Do not scrub the interior lining, as this will degrade the reflective paint layer. Instead, use a gentle dabbing motion.
For components not manufactured by Diagnosys, such as laptop or all-in-one desktop computers or fixation cameras, please refer to the instruction book supplied by the original manufacturer.
- Disinfection describes a process that eliminates many or all pathogenic microorganisms, except bacterial spores, on inanimate objects.
The exterior of the Espion E3 System console, all exterior surfaces and cables of the Espion Profile cart systems, and the exteriors of the amplifier and stimulators may be disinfected using a cloth or wipe impregnated with 60-90% alcohol, a dilute bleach solution, or any commercially available disinfection wipe sanctioned by your institution. When using alcohol, thoroughly saturate the surface and allow to air dry. Do not wipe dry. If using a dilute bleach solution or commercially available wipe utilizing hydrogen peroxide or bleach, be aware that some cosmetic discoloration may occur. If using a dilute bleach solution, allow proper ventilation during and after application. If using a commercially available disinfection wipe, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use.
The ColorDome and ColorBurst interiors may be disinfected using a cloth or wipe saturated with alcohol, or a commercially available disinfection wipe. Do not scrub the interior lining, as this will degrade the reflective paint layer. Instead, use a gentle dabbing motion to saturate the interior lining of the ganzfeld and allow to air dry. If using a commercially available disinfection wipe, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use, ensuring to dab and not scrub the interior lining of the ganzfeld.
For components not manufactured by Diagnosys such as laptop or all-in-one desktop computers, please refer to the instruction book supplied by the original manufacturer. If no manufacturer guidance is available, consider the use of alcohol based wipes or sprays containing at least 70% alcohol to disinfect touch screens. Allow the touchscreen to air dry, but avoid pooling of liquids on any surface. Once the surface is dry you may use a soft cloth or microfiber towel to remove any
spots left behind by the disinfecting wipe.
For accessories, do the following: disposable accessories such as skin or corneal electrodes should be discarded after use. Reusable corneal electrodes should be cleaned according to manufacturer’s instructions. Reusable skin electrodes, such as gold cups or ear clips, can be cleaned in the same way as the E3 Console after removing excess conducive paste with warm water and soap. Cables may also be cleaned in the same way as the E3 Console.
- Sterilization describes a process that destroys or eliminates all forms of microbial life and is carried out in health care facilities by physical or chemical methods. Steam under pressure, dry heat, EtO gas, hydrogen peroxide gas plasma, and liquid chemicals are the principal sterilizing agents used in health-care facilities. None of the Espion E3 or Profile System is designed to be sterilized. If sterilization is found to be necessary, EtO gas is the preferred method.
- When and How to Wash Your Hands | Handwashing | CDC. (2020). Cdc.gov. Retrieved 30 March 2020, from
- Disinfection & Sterilization Guidelines | Guidelines Library | Infection Control | CDC. (2020). Cdc.gov. Retrieved 20 March 2020 from https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/disinfection/introduction.html
- 5 tablespoons (75 mL) bleach per gallon (3.8L) of water or 4 teaspoons (20 mL) bleach per quart (.95L) of water
- Wear disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting surfaces. Gloves should be discarded after each cleaning. If reusable gloves are used, those gloves should be dedicated for cleaning and disinfection of surfaces for COVID-19 and should not be used for other purposes. Consult the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and disinfection products used. Clean hands immediately after gloves are removed.
- Products on EPA List N are expected to be effective against COVID-19 based on data for harder to kill viruses. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for all cleaning and disinfection products (e.g., concentration, application method and contact time, etc.). Visit https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-againstsars-cov-2 to find the current list of products that meet EPA’s criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2, the cause of COVID-19. Note: Inclusion on this list does not constitute an endorsement by EPA. There may be additional disinfectants that meet the criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2. EPA updates this list with additional products as needed.
- EPA’s List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2, available at:
- EPA’s Coronavirus Site, available at:
- CDC’s Coronavirus Disease 2019 Site, available at:
- CDC Infection Control, Disinfection and Sterilization